Nancy was raised in Oglethorpe County with her sisters, Elizabeth and Susan, and brother, John. While living in Oglethorpe County, Nancy was courted by Marcus D Lafayette Reid, who lived on the neighboring farm of Lucy Williams. On 22 Dec 1850, Nancy and MDL were married in Oglethorpe County, Georgia.
Soon after they were married, Nancy and MDL moved to her parent’s farm. MDL was a skilled farmer and Nancy’s father needed help with the farm. While living on the farm in 1852, daughter Preshey was born. Sadly, Preshey died a week after her birth. Not long after, Nancy’s father Randall also died. It was a difficult time. Nancy and MDL remained on the farm after her father’s death to continue to help with the farm. On 30 Aug 1855, daughter Ellen was born.
In May of 1861, while still living on the Ramsey farm, MDL left the family to enlist in the 8th Georgia Infantry of the Confederacy. It’s likely that Nancy and Ellen joined MDL’s mother Hannah, and step-father, Benjamin Bowles, in Chattooga County, Georgia to be cared for in MDL’s absence during the war. As the war progressed, Nancy and Ellen moved with the Bowles to Floyd County, Georgia seeking further refuge from the war and to be near MDL who was stationed at Bell Hospital in Rome, Floyd County, Georgia at the time. Nancy remained in Floyd County with Ellen and the Bowles until MDL returned after the war in May of 1865.
We speculate that Nancy and MDL moved to Chambers County, Alabama after the war to be near extended family. At the young age of 36, while living in Chambers County, Nancy grew ill and died on 3 Aug 1869. We are not certain where Nancy is buried.
Historic facts for NANCY ANN RAMSEY:
- 26 Mar 1833: Oglethorpe County, Georgia, born the daughter of Randall Ramsey and Lucy Young
- 7 Aug 1850: Oglethorpe County, Georgia Census Record, living with parents and siblings
- 21 Dec 1850: Oglethorpe County, Georgia, marriage to Marcus D Lafayette Reid
- 1852: Oglethorpe County, Georgia, birth of daughter Preshey E. Reid
- 1855: Oglethorpe County, Georgia, death of father Randall Ramsey
- 30 Aug 1855: Oglethorpe County, Georgia, birth of daughter Ellen Ann Reid
- 11 Jun 1860: Oglethorpe County, Georgia Census Record, living with husband Marcus D Lafayette Reid
- 2 Aug 1869: Alabama, died at age 36, circumstances and location of death unknown
This page has the following sub pages.